February 1, 2011

On bewilderingly popular films.

You know, I saw Black Swan, and I didn't care for it.

It was alright. I mean, it wasn't a bad film. I don't regret sitting through it. It held my attention reasonably well. However, I really don't get what all the hype is about. I've got status updates about its peerless brilliance littering my Facebook feed, and I just don't get it. I didn't care about the main character because she was a high-strung yuppie (and the only high-strung yuppie I care about is an insane serial killer), and the plot was so predictable that I spent at least half the film thinking "Hurry up and get to the bit where she dances and it all goes to hell. I get it, I get it, she's the white swan, Mila Kunis is the black swan, her mum is controlling, she's breaking free/going nuts, blah, blah, blah."

Really? People were really blown away by this? By Natalie Portman playing a repressed rich girl with a demanding job? I mean, I'm not saying her performance was bad, because it wasn't. It was quite good - but not great. It wasn't great, because she was basically playing herself. The girl peaked at 13 in Leon: The Professional. Frankly I found Mila Kunis more engaging; I'm struggling to see where the Oscar hype is coming from.

Evidently my opinion is in the minority at the moment, but...


No comments:

Post a Comment