February 19, 2011

Life in the fast lane comfort zone

So, as it turns out, there are quite a few things I am not opposed to doing/comfortable with doing that a great many people are not.
Among these things are:

  • baring my face in public.
  • eating 20 chicken nuggets in one sitting.
  • dyeing my hair purple.
  • sharing my thoughts on a series of seemingly unrelated subjects via the internet.
  • participating in a threesome.
  • arguing my point.
  • falling in love with people of my own gender.
  • eating processed foods.
  • wandering through crowded places, e.g. concerts.
  • shotting horse semen at a bizarre food festival.

I happen to be okay with all of the above, and that doesn't make me superior or inferior to anyone else. They're just facts. There's also a very long list of things I am/would be extremely uncomfortable doing, including stupid things like "ordering my own food at a restaurant" and "walking around naked". That does not mean I automatically feel the need to censor anyone who is fine with ordering their food or wandering their own house in the nude, because that would be pretty goddamn stupid. Of course it would, you say, but I'm not so sure it's such an obvious fact to everyone.

I'm writing this because I don't think it should be anybody's right to make anyone else feel like their list of comfortable and uncomfortable things makes them bad, strange, or unreasonable, unless one of the things listed in the Comfort Zone is "having sex with underage girls/boys", or "hitting people I disagree with", or something similarly damaging and antisocial. The idea of "normalcy" is a fabrication, and that alone makes it a piss-poor standard to judge anyone by. I tend to judge myself and other people based purely on whether or not they are hurting someone with their actions.

So I will shot my horse semen and have sex with multiple people in one go and hold my head high because I am not hurting anyone by doing it. If it makes you uncomfortable enough that you feel the need to throw names at me and tell me I'm doing something wrong, that's completely illogical and the fault lies with you, not me. Thank you for your attempt at policing my choices, but I don't intend to follow your 'rules' until you can back them up with something other than "Well I wouldn't do that, and neither would anyone I know." I appreciate that it makes you feel better if you live your life by irrationally sealing yourself off from anything you don't immediately understand or which is unfamiliar, and that's fine with me; I sincerely hope it isn't as sad and boring as it sounds. I would appreciate it if you restricted it to yourself - you know, the only person you have any right to control?

1 comment:

  1. "So I will shot my horse semen and have sex with multiple people in one go and hold my head high" ... that is poetry. Not because of the content (you know, in that try-hard-tweenage-"oh it's explicit and alternative so I should really like it!" way) but because it actually is poetic and rhythmic and just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete