February 28, 2011

This is an Oscars post.

Alright, the Oscars don't appear to be anywhere on free to air TV in New Zealand, so I've been resorting to various live streams - which, let me tell you, have been of fairly deplorable quality (thank you, New Zealand internet). As such, I only managed to actually witness bits and pieces, although they seem to have been the most important bits and pieces.

On the hosts:



Anyone else have some sneaking suspicions that James Franco was high as a kite? I've got to admit, I miss Ricky Gervais. This was downright boring in comparison.

On Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross taking away the Oscar for Best Original Score:



Nine Inch Nails are amazing, Trent Reznor is amazing even when he looks like a thumb, I haven't seen The Social Network because I am a bad fan, etc etc.

On Christian Bale winning Best Supporting Actor:



I've got to admit, after my initial distaste following that incident (it's fucking distracting...), I settled on a general feeling of affection for good trolling when it comes to Señor Bale. I haven't seen The Fighter but I intend to, and honestly, it was just cute at the end of his speech when he got all choked up about his wife again. /is a romantic at heart

On Colleen Atwood winning for Best Costume Design:

I love her and I could not care less what anyone says about Alice In Wonderland. I thought it was fine. Not amazing, not mind-shatteringly awful, it was fine. People are such drama queens about that shit.

On Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law:

They warm the cockles of my heart, whatever that means. I'm still sold on this Sherlock thing.

On Florence Welch:

FLAWLESS Pictures, Images and Photos

Ethereal goddess, musical queen, wasted on this ceremony, etc.

On Tom Hooper winning Best Director:


Laughing at these bitches who seem to think this was unexpected. The King's Speech is a beautifully directed film.

On Natalie Portman winning Best Actress:

Whatever, we all saw it coming, I just don't get it. She was alright, but seriously, best actress? Slim pickings this year, huh?

On Colin Firth winning Best Actor:















King Firth deserves this and every other award we can invent for excellence in a human being, the end.

On The King's Speech winning Best Picture:

Honestly, I wasn't sure the Academy was going to choose the correct candidate for this one, but in the end they got it right. I would've been happy with this or True Grit, so...

1 comment:

  1. "The King's Speech" really did clean up - I have to admit, I was a little surprised: I mean, it's an amazing film, but up against "Inception" and "Black Swan" I was scared they were going to pick something else.

    Also, I hope James Franco was high. I love him so very much. He is amazing.

    ReplyDelete