February 15, 2011

On True Grit


I went to see True Grit on a whim, purely because my flatmates were going and happened to ask if I'd like to go along. I figured it's been acknowledged by the Academy this year - I might as well check it out, even if it looked like something I would find deathly boring. Westerns? Not exactly my thing. However, by now I trust the Coens enough to give them the benefit of the doubt despite trepidations about genre.

This turned out to be a good decision on my part; I had a vague feeling that whatever happened, I would probably enjoy the ride, and I was right. For all that Westerns are not my thing, this film certainly was, and for a couple of hours it showed me exactly what fans of the genre see in it.

Visually the film was quite breathtaking. Roger Deakins' cinematography was nothing short of beautiful, and this is one of its main strengths. True Grit boasts a generous helping of the usual black humor and razor-sharp wit I've come to expect from the Coen brothers, but with characters like Mattie Ross and Rooster Cogburn, it doesn't for a moment feel forced or contrived. The cast delivered brilliant performances, especially Jeff Bridges (and I am not a particular fan of his, but this was truly excellent work), and Hailee Steinfeld, who more than lived up to the stellar cast.

My only issue with this film is the fact that the final sequence felt - well, flat. I don't know what happened. It was charging forward so fearlessly, and suddenly, just as it drew to a close, it stumbled. In a jarring case of mood whiplash, it suddenly lost momentum and...well, I left the cinema feeling slightly confused. What exactly was the point of that epilogue-type deal? I may never understand. However, don't let that put you off seeing it - do see it.
In fact I demand that you see it.
Go on.

1 comment:

  1. I came *this* close to going to see in on Sunday Night... but then we decided we would save $15 each and re-watch "The Men Who Stare at Goats" instead...

    ReplyDelete