March 3, 2011

Pretty people saying stupid things? I, for one, am shocked!


Daisy Lowe, you are pretty goddamn gorgeous, but your use of the term "mild lesbian" to describe yourself in a men's magazine is going to go down like a ton of bricks. I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord. At any rate, I welcome any comment that opens up debate on the idea of varying degrees of sexuality in any direction. Kinsey is my hero, etc. On the other hand, this does reek of Katy Perry-style exploitation, and while I adore a large dose of exploitation in my life, I prefer it to hail from the 1970s. It's difficult enough for bisexual women to find any degree of respect - oh hi, people who keep insisting there's no such thing - and this "mild lesbian" nonsense from a modern woman is not helping.


As if that wasn't enough of a wank-generator, there's this gem from the same interview: "Women are so much more beautiful when they have shape. And I'm proud to be part of this renewed appreciation of womanly assets. Although, I do think Mad Men has a lot to answer for."
Generally it's good not to wade into that debate without having thought about it enough to at least realize that women can be beautiful at any weight, regardless of their shape. Even better, to realize that women don't have to be beautiful to be attractive...oh, what am I saying? Models are never going to be the best people to explain that idea.

2 comments:

  1. Please, start a magazine/TV show/large media conglomerate that is amazingly successful and - in an entirely condonable and non-evil way - spread your views about the world. I think the people need/want to hear them. (Then you can give me a job...)

    Also, your distinction between degrees of sexuality and Katy Perry pretty much encapsulates my entire belief system in regards to sex. It's like being politically liberal. There are different levels of support/liberalness, and loads of famous people cling to their democrat flags to gain/maintain fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? I firmly believe that for some people at least, sexuality is fluid, and that's a pretty unpopular view in mainstream Western media. I like anything that might possibly go towards normalizing that idea, because I really do think it's more common than people might assume. But at the same time, 'I Kissed A Girl' couldn't have been any more for-the-male-gaze in its garish/totally soulless demonstration of token 'lesbian' activities. I'm torn.

    ReplyDelete