April 18, 2011

Allow me to take a few minutes to rhapsodise about Damien Rice.

Yes, I'm well aware how very late I am to this realization, but Damien Rice writes amazing songs.



We might make out when nobody's there
It's not that we're scared

It's just that it's delicate

So why do you fill my sorrow
With the words you've borrowed
From the only place you've known
And why do you sing Hallelujah
If it means nothing to you
Why do you sing with me at all?

So, it is entirely possible that I just have a very generic and predictable life, and it is entirely possible that the phrases were just general enough that almost anything could be read into them, but I spent around seven hours last night immersing myself in these songs and I found myself pleasantly surprised by how very appropriate some of the lyrics seemed to be to my immediate situation. 'Hey!' says I, 'I know what that's like!' We bonded, Damien and I. I swear. It was magical. 


And what I am to you
Is not real
And what I am to you
You do not need
And what I am to you
Is not what you mean to me
You give me miles and miles of mountains
And I ask for the sea

I'm unsure how to react to this chorus, other than to say: yes. This, exactly. Phrasing so perfect, I can barely handle it.

I came.

Just trust me, I didn't know whether I was grinning or crying the first time I heard it. That's how unexpectedly accurate it was.


Now, I don't want to be one of those stupid fucks who are so insistent in their fangirl/boying that they end up issuing a ridiculous and completely untrue ultimatum like "if you don't ___ this ___, you are [insert bad thing]", but if you don't get that this song is beautiful, you don't have a soul.


2 comments:

  1. I love it when songs just seem to be absolutely perfect and say what you want far more eloquently/betterer than you ever could. It saddens me how, sometimes, when you take the most magical line of poetry out of the song and write it down, it loses a big chunk of its appeal and ends up falling flat... because the evocative bits of music aren't there to back it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That annoys me too. I read a lot of the lyrics in this post before I'd heard the songs, and I immediately liked them, but maybe that's just me - they can't mean the same thing to everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete